Thursday 27 September 2012

So this is what a car does....

After some thought, I'll put a photo of Veg up so that people can see what a car does. If it is a low vehicle, it does not always kill the animal but rather slices them. The result, the animal runs off or is left to die very slowly. I know not everybody likes or cares about wildlife but as a gentle reminder, it is in fact illegal to hit an animal (of any kind) and leave it alive, unattended. It is so easy to just call and say 'I've hit a wombat, it ran off, can you go and look' and the response would be no problem at all.

Wildlife run out at night on roads - of course it happens. Most get killed but if not, it is no problem to make a call. I know it upsets some people when they hit something and they just drive. Again, completely understandable but again, so simple to just call so it is dealt with by somebody else. It is not pleasant having to be somebody who puts a lot of animals down but at least it prevents the suffering. 

Veg was one of the lucky ones as she knew to come back to the house where she knew she would be helped. She is not nearly in the clear yet but at least she has a good chance. Her baby is still alive so that is also a bonus.

Not so lucky was the female wombat found by another carer on the side of the road 2 days ago - imagine this dear people - hit by a car, your back is broken and you are moved off the road and put on your back in the gutter. The most disgusting part about this - the female wombat was ALIVE. Things like this just disgust me to the core. So she was on her back, unable to move, with a baby still in her pouch, with birds trying to peck her eyes out and bull ants starting to eat at her. THAT is the reality of what happens. I get sick just thinking about it and no, this is not the first time sadly. This happens a lot with wombats or other animals whose backs are broken and they cannot turn over and who are still alive.

As I said, I know not everybody cares but blatant cruelty to a living creature, I just do not understand and I cannot comprehend it. Off to do some work before the bad weather hits but thought I would share what comes our way. I wish it was always good news but sadly not so. At least the sun is shining and it is a beautiful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment